Monday, December 1, 2008

Gol!


I am no longer a Black Friday shopper, but it is a tradition in my husband's family to make the requisite trip to Marden's, a Maine-based surplus and salvage store where you might find anything from power tools to cosmetics, computer bits, school supplies, clothing, furniture, kitchen cabinets, etc...all at typically low, low prices.

Now, I have to admit I have a love-hate relationship with Marden's. It's too big. Too dirty. I often find nothing of value or need and end up buying something anyway, "because it's such a good deal!" But over the years we have been lucky, finding things like Leica cameras, Burton snowboard gear, living room furniture and more. Still - Friday afternoon finds me moaning and groaning my way through Marden's with my nephews and sisters-in-law, thinking, "Right now I could be in a nice, clean, organized TJMaxx!"

But then my husband John waves from across the store. Waves enthusiastically from across the store. From amid a display of BABY GEAR! Mostly there are strollers, which we do need and which I've been avoiding shopping for at all costs after a harrowing experience at Babies-R-Us. And these are not just any strollers - we are talking high-end strollers - Mutsy, Phil&Teds, Mountain Buggy. And we are talking about my husband, the babyphobe, test-driving the different models as if they are cars...comparing construction, frame sizes and weights, maneuverability, tire size and color-options.

After trying them all out, collecting input from John's sisters and nephews (who knew boys could have so much fun with strollers?!), we ended up buying the Mountain Buggy "Urban" stroller (see pic) with an additional pram attachment (so baby stays cozy during the frigid Maine winter). And we got them at 65% off the regular retail price. Yay.

I'm sorry I doubted you, Marden's!

1 comment:

Tory said...

We're coming to Maine to check this place out! We fell in love w/ the Phil & Ted's double stroller but alas, the Graco quatro is the only one that can fold one-handed and fit in the back of our GTI. I never thought I would know so much about strollers. Ps-I bought Jasper that car you posted earlier...on sale at babycenter.