Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Crap Fairs and other holiday traditions

As an aunt to 10 nieces and nephews I have heard my share of gut-busting anecdotes over the years. My sister-in-law tells a great story about when her boys were toddlers and they thought the craft store was pronounced the "crap" store. I know it's silly, but it still makes me smile.... Anyway, one of these boys is getting ready to graduate from college, but still loves his family enough to join them on the Thanksgiving weekend sojourn to the holiday "Crap" Fair.

You may think I am simply being unkind to the hard-working crafters whose work is displayed at the local civic center each November, but I am not. There really are crap vendors - as in people who sell items they make out of good ol' Maine Moose Poop. Not kidding. In addition to tabletop sculptures and holiday ornaments, you can buy a stunning set of dangling dingleberries to adorn your ears. Perfect, unique gifts for family members/friends who have it all!

In all honesty, this year the moose-poop people were not in attendance at the fair. But my mother-in-law did indeed buy a moose-poop garland for her tree one year at said fair. Only in Maine! Oh, and maybe Alaska.

No comments: